Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A sobering thought

I have no idea why this is the case, but...

A story up on CNN Money claims that on average, drinkers earn 10 to 14 per cent more than their teetotaling colleagues.

Specifically, the study (originally found in The Journal of Labor Research) found that those who regularly drank in social settings earned higher salaries than those who only drank at home or not at all.

The difference was apparently larger for women than men.

The obvious explanation I can think of is that social drinkers are more likely to be sociable, networking people in general (hence, more likely to get ahead in their careers due to their outgoing nature) but part of me doubts that there's a causal relationship going on here.

Isn't it just as likely that the inverse is true? Namely, that high earners are just more likely to drink, because they have more disposable income than someone who's budget is stretched and can't afford frivolities like booze.

Still, it makes you think. I think i'll organize an after-work tipple with some friends this evening. And for once, I'll have the excuse that it's actually good for my finances.

Cheers!

No comments: