Monday, April 23, 2007

Trading note -- Bring on more bank fees, I say

Made my first stock purchase in a while last week. I'm pleased to say that like 99% of Canadian investors, I'm now a happy owner of bank stocks. I put $3200 into BMO shares. Yes, yes, I know that BMO's currently trading at an all-time high -- but we're talking about the big banks here, people: the old rules don't apply. I'm not expecting my shares to skyrocket overnight so I can cash out in a few weeks time, but in terms of buy-and-hold Canadian dividend investing, the banks really are no-brainers. I'm confident my tiny stake in BMO will do what I hope it will -- slowly grow over time, giving me dependable capital gains and a steadily increasing dividend payout.

That'll probably be the last position I'll be instigating in Canada for a while now, because barring a major market correction, the whole TSX looks a tad pricey to me. As per my asset allocation targets, my next purchase will probably be to pad up my international holdings -- most likely via an emerging market ETF since I currently have no exposure to that sector.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Investors looking for the latest podcasts, including interviews with high profile executives and stock market experts check out WallStRadio .
Some of the most recent episodes include interviews with the editor of the ongoing blog at Controlledgreed.com, market analysts Charles Payne and Roger Nussbaum, and an exclusive interview with Miguel Hernandez, Sales Director of Palm Latin America for Palm, Inc.

Please check out WallSt Radio.