Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A little perspective

An excerpt from a recent conversation I had with a friend completing her MBA:

I know I'm supposed to be buying into the theory that the party can just keep on going forever, but sometimes I think the entire global economy is on the verge of collapse. The stock market is full of speculators, we're in debt up to our eyeballs, and white collar crime is at an all time high. I'm tempted to buy a few acres of land up north, bury gold bullion in it and camp out while I wait for the system to crumble around me.


Ordinarily I'd dismiss the above as the nonsensical ramblings of a stressed out student at exam time, but the thing is, if she'd put her plan into action about two years ago, she's be sitting on a tidy return right now, as precious metals and real estate have been very hot in Canada for the last little while.

Your plan is to head for the hills, and the herd follows you up there? Now that's irony.

No comments: