Friday, November 30, 2007

Surveying the damage -- November net worth

Not exactly a banner month for the ol' portfolio.

Net worth went down by nearly 2% for the month, and that's after the $1000 of new cash I put into it during the month. There were fluctuations throughout, but the real mover and shaker was Biovail.

I didn't write a post on the company's latest woes because frankly, I'm tired of writing about them, but suffice to say it's hard to bounce back when your largest single holding loses more than 10% of its value in a month.

I've been really close to dumping the entire thing, cutting my losses and putting what's left into something steadier, but I still think the market's overreacting to it. They've got cash, and they've got new drugs slowly coming along the pipeline. I just need to be patient. That dividend will tide me over. Time will tell if my instincts are right on this one, but for now there's no denying it's an ugly blotch on my portfolio.

Still, there's no accounting for luck sometimes. The stock market's been open for less than an hour today, for example, and Google Finance informs me I'm already up $500. Much like Kyle Wellwood, this too, shall pass.

No comments: